You might have noticed that I did not, in fact, publish a blog post last week. I was out sick. I was so proud of not having been sick since November (after years and years of winter colds) that the first spring cold caught me full flat in the face. Baaaaam. But! Now I’m on the mend and I also finished my latest knitting adventure - the advantage of days holed up in bed with Scandal and yarn and two needles.
There’s a lot of exciting stuff happening here these days (and I’m not just talking about the fact that we have SUN and it might actually be SPRING)! So I thought I’d use today’s blog post to give you a little update on what’s been happening on #thejourney.
- First up: Yes, it’s a hashtag now! I decided to name this whole endeavour, including my mailing list, #thejourney. Not sure yet where this will lead to (will it be a product? will it be a newsletter? will it be … a book?), but it just felt right. So whenever you share something that I’ve written or you want to talk about how to figure out what you want to do with your life, feel free to use it on ALL the networks.
- I decided back at the end of February that I’m going to do this. THIS journey. Full time. Wherever it takes me. No going back to full-time employment any time soon. YESSSSSS.
- I’ve been working with some amazing clients over the course of the last couple of months and will share all the exciting details and reveals in separate blog posts, but I want to highlight one close to my heart here: Anna from Gregoria Fibers and me met over the wonder that is Instagram and collaborated on copy for her relaunched website. Anna sources organic locally produced wool in Spain and hand-dyes it with plants and plant extracts. The yarns are GORGEOUS (click over to her website for proof), and they all have a unique sustainable story. We’ve been working on the texts for the new website as well as a revamp of her newsletter - stay tuned for more!
I’m pretty booked right now, but I’m always open to explore options to work together! So if you need someone to coach your first time managers or to project manage a super exciting website / Marketing / product project for you, hit me up! (Especially when you’re afiber / textile / creative business - I’d love to chat about collaborations!)
- I’ve been quietly chipping away at the great long to do list of things to do to start my own online shop. I got my trade license (thanks German bureaucracy and not-existing online payment Berliner Gewerbeamt), I prototyped a couple of things and I decided on shop platforms. I’ll be selling hand-made pouches and bags, and maybe a knitted accessory or two come winter. I also might add amazing handmade things by others at some point down the line! I’ll be launching on Dawanda and Etsy first, and thenmaybe add an own online shop under my brand later. Check out my Instagram to follow this part of #thejourney!
- When I first embarked on #thejourney, I spent a weekend setting up my website on Strikingly, put up a couple of pictures and called it a day. The first version was a bit dark and gloomy (hmmm… reflection of my mood back then… ??), and I felt that that was not quite right anymore. When I started playing around with Strikingly, I realized that I frankly cannot do all the things I want my website to do on that platform. I updated the design a bit (you can see the new version here), but I also went looking for an alternative. Enter Squarespace. Squarespace has beautiful templates, lots more options for customization and the ability to add an online shop (see above!)! Fortunately, I have friends with mad Squarespace skills and did a trade with one of them (the amazing Denise who is entering our freelance world hurray!!!). Stay tuned for the reveal of the new website some time soon!
- Speaking of awesome friends - another awesome friend of mine (hi, Alexa!) started a great newsletter almost exactly one year ago where she shares career advice that doesn’t suck. It’s great content that is very near and dear to my heart - I love coaching and mentoring and figuring out which path to take with your career is one of the hardest things to do in life. Which is why we decided to team up and start the #entrylevelboss podcast! We’ve already recorded four episodes; next week we’ll do a couple more and then we’ll LAUNCH! Please do me a favor and sign up here to get an email on launch day :)
- Last but not least - I did this thing. I started writing a book. A small one, nonetheless, but A BOOK. I still remember super clearly that I was on the phone with my super awesome ex-colleague Meike in November on the sofa in the sunshine and she said “you should totally write a book”. Meike, I’m doing it. I’m sharing all the tips and tricks and what I’ve learned on how to lead a team so that when you’re doing this for the first time in your life, you actually have a game plan (because I would’ve really really really likedone.) Sign up here for exclusive early access!
There are about sixteen more different things that I’m currently working on and that I’m so excited about, but I feel this blog post is already getting too long. Just know - hummingbird’s been busy. And you know, the best part? Hummingbird is happy. Really, genuinely, deeply happy. I’m so grateful for this journey, and for all of your support. Thank you. It means the world to me. Now, go enjoy the sunshine!